top of page
Graduation Ceremony

Student Visa

Our legal team can support your immigration application for a Student Visa to enter and study in the UK. Find out more here. 

Student Visa and Immigration Solicitors in Manchester 

Our team of experienced immigration solicitors can help you find out which type of visa you need to apply for and help you submit your application. We have worked with students from universities and colleges across the United Kingdom. Specifically, we have completed visas for students at the University of Manchester, Salford University and Manchester Metropolitan University. We also correspond with the relevant legal bodies and provide clarity on government guidance, processes and eligibility criteria. Our dedicated team can help you speed up your student visa application by ensuring that all required documents and supporting evidence are correctly organised. Get in touch today for a free consultation to discuss your unique requirements.

Apply for a Student Visa


The UK student visa allows individuals from outside of the European Economic Area to enter the UK as a student, usually either at a school, college, or university.

In order to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you will need to have Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) at a UK educational institution that holds a valid Tier 4 sponsorship license. The option to enter the UK on a Prospective Student visa ended in October 2013. This means that you cannot arrive in the UK with the intention of applying to study - you must already have confirmation of your acceptance before you enter the UK.

Can I apply for Student Finance on a Student Visa?


​Tier 4 Visa Students must spend at least 15 hours a week in study, and the student must be able to meet the cost of the course, maintenance and accommodation without working. Some students may be eligible to apply for a loan from Student Finance to cover tuition fees at UK universities. However, help with maintenance and other costs is usually restricted to UK and EU nationals, and those with legal residence; usually this means anyone who's legally been in the UK for 3 years or more.


Some Tier 4 students may work for up to 20 hours per week while they study. However, changes to UK immigration law brought in in 2015 mean that Tier 4 students at publicly further education colleges may no longer work.

Does Student Visa cover family members?


Some Tier 4 (General) Student visas allow family members to apply to come to the UK with the visa holder, or to remain if already in the UK. This could include certain family members such as married, civil, and unmarried partners; and children under the age of 18. To apply for additional family members to enter or remain in the UK, Tier 4 students must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • The student must be enrolled on an NQF level 7 (UK Master's degree) or higher qualification in the UK for at least 1 year OR; 

  • The student must be sponsored by the UK government on a course lasting at least 6 months, OR; 

  • The student must be enrolled on a Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Get in touch with an experienced immigration solicitor


With student visa and immigration advisors based in Manchester, we keep in close contact with our clients throughout the process. Our extensive experience in student and working visas will guide you through the process of submitting your visa application to the Home Office.

Browse our latest Legal Updates

bottom of page